It’s about to get real – real delicious, with this Grilled Chipotle Pizza I created for Del Real Foods Blogger Recipe Challenge 2016! Voting begins May 9th!
Last year my Tamale Stuffed Jalapenos won Best Appetizer in Del Real Food’s Blogger Recipe Challenge. I had such an incredible experience filming my recipe, I knew I wanted to enter the contest again. I came up with this grilled pizza that is both family friendly, and easy to prepare outdoors.
Grilled pizzas are a favorite in our household. This Grilled Chipotle Pizza came together really quickly thanks to a store-bought pizza dough, and Del Real’s pre-cooked Chipotle Chicken Tinga.
While your grill is preheating, stretch out the pizza dough, and shape on aluminum foil. You can let it rest while you chop your other ingredients – I had leftover grilled corn that I cut from the cob, frozen corn also works well. I also used mango, fresh cilantro, cheese, and delicious Del Real Salsa de Molcajete Verde.
Once your grill is ready, I like to stick the dough and foil on a baking sheet to help transfer the dough. When your grill is ready, remove the dough from the foil, spray the foil with cooking spray, and carefully place the foil on the grill, greased side up. Carefully slide the dough onto the foil. .
Close the lid and grill for about 2 minutes. While your dough is cooking, you may wish to heat the chicken according to package directions. It’s conveniently fully cooked, but this ensures it’s heated through. Checking your pizza crust, and you will notice it starting to brown and bubble up.After 2=3 more minutes, flip your crust over, using heat-safe tongs.
Top the crust with cheese, then the chicken–a slotted spoon cuts down on the amount of liquid you are getting on the crust, to help prevent it from getting soggy–mango, and corn. Drizzle Del Real’s Salsa de Molcajete Verde around the crust, and then more cheese if you desire…and who wouldn’t? Close the lid, and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes. All grills are different, so you might need to adjust the temperature .
While your pizza is finishing, prepare the avocado crema by combining avocado, Mexican-style crema or sour cream, lime juice, and Salsa de Molcajete Verde in a blender or food processor.
When the cheese is melted on your pizza, remove from grill by sliding your baking sheet underneath the foil, and transfer to cutting board or serving platter. Drizzle with crema, and fresh cilantro.
- Aluminum foil
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough
- 1 package Del Real Foods Chipotle Chicken Tinga
- 1 cup corn, frozen or cooked, cut from cob
- ¼ cup Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde
- fresh mango, cubed, approximately 1 cup
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
- ¼ cup crumbled Queso Fresco
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- *Avocado crema, as follows:
- *Avocado Crema:
- medium avocado, halved and removed from skin
- ¼ cup Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde
- ¼ cup Mexican Crema, or sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat grill to high, clearing off any debris. If using frozen corn, allow to rest at room temperature. While grill is heating, tear sheet of aluminum foil to fit your grill, place on flat surface and shape your dough into a rectangle, if dough tears, patch with dough from thicker outer edge. Try to get the same thickness throughout. Once grill is ready, remove dough from foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place foil on grill, add dough on top of foil. Close the lid and allow to grill for 2 minutes. While dough is cooking, remove Del Real Foods Chipolte Chicken Tinga from pouch, shredding gently with forks. You may wish to heat chicken in microwave if available, for easier shredding, but this step is not necessary. After 2 minutes, check dough by lifting up the edge with heat-proof tongs, adjusting grill temperature as necessary. Close lid and cook an additional 2-3 minutes or until slightly golden with bubbles in the crust. Chop mango, and if using cooked corn, remove from cob. Use tongs to flip pizza crust over. Reduce grill heat to medium, top with half of the shredded Monterey Jack cheese, the shredded Chipolte Chicken Tinga ( use a fork or slotted spoon to reduce the amount of cooking liquid, so as to avoid a soggy crust.), the corn, mango, and spoon on the Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde. Top with remaining cheese and close grill. Let cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. While pizza is cooking, combine avocado, crema, lime juice, and Del Real Foods Salsa de Molcajete Verde in blender.
- When cheese is melted, remove pizza from grill and place on cutting board. Allow to rest 5 minutes, then top with fresh cilantro, queso fresco, and drizzles of *avocado crema.
- *If you are preparing this dish outdoors and do not have access to a blender, combine equal parts pre-packaged guacatillo and crema or sour cream.
The combination of mango, corn, cheese, and chipotle chicken is divine! I can see this pizza becoming a summer staple in our house, and it’s so convenient and delicious, that will be just fine with me! Each bite tastes a little bit different as you get different combinations of toppings…it’s fresh, filling, best of all – ‘Real Delicioius!”